Sunday, August 1, 2010

Old & New Communication

Hey guys!

How we all doing today?? As most people who know that read my blogs that I only created this account for Uni as this is part of our assessment. We need to blog our assessments on here and this is how our lectures mark us......pretty easy I guess!!

I'm not much of a blogger though. I don't mind reading other people’s blogs but I've never been a fun of blogging about myself and my personals life, but who knows I actually might like do this.


Anyways for my first assessment we have to do a weekly task answering a certain question.


Here is my first question -
"How Do We Distinguish Between Old and New Communication Technologies? Under What Circumstances Will New Communication Technologies Become Old Communication Technologies?"



Answer:

Well for me, the most basic way to distinguish old and new communication was through the media. The media usually says when certain things become old and new, for example MySpace and Facebook. MySpace was in a couple of years ago and then when Facebook came, the media said that MySpace was getting old.

"Facebook is the company to watch, while MySpace is falling off the radar," Silicon Valley analyst Rob Enderle told ABCNEWS.com. "MySpace is increasingly irrelevant. Unless they change that, they'll go the way of Netscape or Friendster or any number of other Web properties." (ABC News 2008)

As quoted by ABC News, MySpace is getting old. A perfect example of how a new communication becomes old by the media. They decide. However we still use old communication such as radios and newspapers and letters. We now live in a world where a lot of people favour fast, wireless, mess free communication. Also when new communications are released they automatically become old even though companies say they are new such as mobile phones. Because technically, when companies release a new product, they start working on a newer, faster and better version of the product they just released.



Lecture Review 1 -
This week was the first week back to the second semester of uni...did that make sense?? Coming to this lecture I had no idea what to expect. I thought they we may have this old boring fat lecture but instead we go 2 funny young guys, Jules & Josh, who seem to know what their on about..and they don't treat you like kids, which is good. Anyways they really didn't say much other than the usual orientation crap such as what to expect blah blah blah. What they did talk about was how new communication becomes old and it really got me thinking "who decides what and when does communication become old" (see my answer up the top). Allot of interesting fact were brought up about this topic that I would never have thought of such as how far communication has come within a frame of 10 years. I'm really looking forward to the next lecture to see what they say next about communication and also because Jules and Josh are quite funny.


References -
ABC NEWS, (2008) Is MySpace Over? Experts Say Social Network Lead Won't Go Down Without A Fight
Retrieved at: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4223303&page=1
(Online), August 9th, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment