Tuesday, September 28, 2010

NO GO, NO SHOW

Lecture Review 9 -

I unfortunately didn't come to this lecture because I thought we may have the same guy again we had from last week and I just could bear the thought of having to listen to him talk on and on about nonsense crap that nobody in the lecture would understand about. I asked a few people (who bothered to even go to lecture) what this lecture was about but most of the response I got back was it was confusing and not worth it. I'm glad I didn't bother to go but I'm also angry at myself because whatever is in the lecture could be on the test. And the lecture slide don't seem to work. There coming up with weird source codes. I don't know if that had something to do with the lecture but it's really annoying me. Lucky I did go to the tutorial though!!


We have been given another assignment based on one of the topics we have learnt in class so far. It's a 1000 word digital essay on our chosen topic. The topic that I have chosen to write about deals with the issue of privacy on the internet and how it's become such a controversial topic.

"Why is privacy such a contentious issue for internet users? Discuss with reference to at least ONE social network service (or other web2.0 service)".

I connected with this quote the most out of all the other 6 topics as it's something that I have a bit of understanding about. Not that I've had any privacy issues happen to me such as my accounts being hacked or people using my details without my permission but it's a topic that I feel strongly about. Everyone has a right to privacy on the internet but at the same time, a lot of our details that we don't what people knowing are being accessed by them anyways. You hear about Facebook accessing your account, without your knowledge and reading your emails and looking at your photos, ""Facebook is officially 'out', as in uncool, amongst partners, parents and pundits all coming to the realization that Zuckerberg and his company are - simply put - not trustworthy" states Stephen Hutcheon from The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH 2010). A lot of Facebook users don't know that. Now I think I should just stop here as I'm getting a little too carried away with this topic and I may end up posting my whole entire essay right now and give away all my good point. You guys are just gonna have to wait and see what I write. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to write about this topic but all I know is that I'm not going to centralise the privacy topic on a certain website. I'm going to look at all the privacy issues on the internet and talk about them all in general..

Now again before I go I have to update you guys about how my groups culture jamming project is coming along. Did someone say "SHAZAM" haha because we actually got it picked up by the media. A newspaper reporter picked up the story and asked me if she could interview me about this topic and have it run through the paper (check photos on the bottom). YEESS!! We did it!!! It makes you believe though that you shouldn't believe everything you read or hear in the media because it may not be true. If our story did run in the paper, imagine how much crap Griffith would be in, not to mention us as we created the rumor. A lot of people would be outraged. I know I would be if I read this..

Screen Shots Of The Email That Was Sent Us (Click On Images To Make Them Appear Bigger As They Are Small To Read) -




References -

SMH (2010) Facebook founder feels the heat as privacy backlash rages by Stephen Hutcheon
Retrieved at: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/facebook-founder-feels-the-heat-as-privacy-backlash-rages-20100514-v38t.html
(Online), 24th September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment